Jun 11, 2018

Change of employer/working visa

I would like to ask if it is possible from humanities working visa in Japan will change to visa working in construction company.The company is willing to give documents necessary for the processing of new visa.Thank you

5 Answers

  • Tomuu

    on Jun 11

    I can't speak with any great authority on this but in my experience, changing from one kind of visa to another in Japan is about having the correct documents and circumstance, and not having anything on your records for immigration officials to create problems about. I'm not aware of rules that say changing from "visa A" to "visa B" is or isn't possible. I think Japan immigration has a helpline these days which you can call to get the basic information about these things. Good luck!

  • hellonihon

    on Jun 11

    I switched from a humanities visa to an instructor visa pretty easily. The paperwork was given to me by my new company, but I had to go to immigration myself. As long as you can show that you are gainfully employed by your new employer (or about to be) and they are willing to sponsor the visa, there should be no problem.

  • Eli

    on Jun 11

    It should not be a big deal as long you as you have all the paperwork correctly. The homepage of the immigration office does not always list all necessary documents though, so it might be a good idea write an e-mail and ask if in your situation additional documents are required.

  • genkidesu

    on Jun 12

    I also recently switched from a dependent visa to a work visa here. Like some other respondents have already mentioned, provided you have the right documentation and it's all filled in correctly, the most painful part is probably going to be the wait you'll have at the immigration office! I imagine the process should be pretty straightforward if your employer plans to sponsor your visa, since I imagine they've probably done it before and know the system.

  • Jackson

    on Jun 15

    If you have the documents from the company especially a contract or letter of offer stating your name, salary, working hours, contract length, it should be okay. But I'd also highly recommend make multiple trips to the immigration office, or at least make a call to get a list of things needed. I made a change before with proper documents, so it's definitely possible.


Awaiting More Answers

2 Answers

Currency Exchange / LIFE Card

Hi! Anyone knows a foreign currency company that accepts credit card on buying a currency? Another question is if someone here has a credit card issued by LIFE Card? I just want to know if they have and english support , I can't find it on there website. Thank you!


on Jan 13

4 Answers

Pokemon go and making friends

Ok so I am SUPER late getting into pokemon go. However, I don't have anyone I know nearby who plays and I need to trade a pokemon to complete a field research task or whatever. How do I find people who play pokemon go near me without having to walk up to random people and be like ...be my friend? *desperation*


on Dec 13

8 Answers

Sending parcels overseas with Japan Post

I think I may have touched on this in one or two blog posts, and this is as much an airing of frustration as it is a question. For the last few years I've used but one Japan Post office, close to where I work. I'm a regular there when it comes to sending parcels home for birthdays, Christmas etc. In the early day, I would just be asked to fill out that little green slip about the contents of the parcel, and would also be asked if there was a letter inside. (To which I always replied "No," as it makes things more expensive.) The next stage was that staff would then started to look at what I had written on the form and if there was anything that might be construed as needing a battery, they would ask me to write "No battery" if one wasn't included. Are they ever? Fine. Then things moved onto asking me what was in the parcel before handing me the green slip, so I felt like I was having to announce to the office staff what a cheap skate I am when it comes to presents. And then we would do the green slip, and the "battery" questions. Now another layer has been added -- on top of the questions, the battery check and the green form -- I now get a separate form, a kind of tick-the-box checklist through which I declare that I'm not sending any cigarette lighters, matches, sprays etc lest I face prosecution. Then we get onto the questions, and all the rest of it. I'm just wondering if others are being taken through the same process when they send things overseas with JP, or is it just that particular branch ... or just me. It's kind of taking the fun out of trying to be a good uncle, brother, son, friend etc. Still, at least they've stopped asking me if there's a letter in the parcel.


on Dec 10

5 Answers

Gently Used furniture

I will be visiting Japan early March and I want to arrange for the purchase of several pieces of furniture for my husband‘s new apartment. We are both well into our senior years and for health reasons can only see one another once a year. He needs a double bed, a small two-seater sofa or a recliner chair and a small kitchen table with two chairs. We cannot buy them right now but I do want to arrange to purchase and have them delivered before I arrive in Japan March 5. Bilingual. Any ideas?


on Dec 2