Loading...

Jul 3, 2018

Japan eases alert level for North Korean ballistic missiles

Japan eases alert level for North Korean ballistic missiles photo


TOKYO - Japan has lowered its alert level for North Korean ballistic missile launches amid diminishing tensions following the historic summit between the U.S. and North Korean leaders last month, government sources said Monday.


As a result, the Maritime Self-Defense Force's Aegis vessels equipped with Standard Missile-3 interceptors will no longer remain in the Sea of Japan as previously, the sources said. But the vessels will still be prepared to intercept missiles within about 24 hours if signs of a possible launch are detected.


The government, meanwhile, will keep in place a standing order issued to the Self-Defense Forces in 2016 to shoot down any projectile heading toward Japanese territory.


The government had previously issued intercept orders on a case-by-case basis when detecting signs of missile launch preparations.


The SDF will also continue to station Patriot Advanced Capability-3 missile interceptors in western and northern Japan along the path a North Korean ballistic missile would travel if Pyongyang follows through on its past threat to attack the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam.


Japan eases alert level for North Korean ballistic missiles photo

(The Maritime Self-Defense Force's Aegis destroyer, the Kirishima)

[File photo]


But members of the Air Self-Defense Force units in charge of the PAC-3 anti-missile operations will not have to remain at their posts and will be allowed more flexibility in operations, the sources said.


The security situation has changed dramatically compared with last year, when North Korea fired around 20 ballistic missiles, two of which flew over Japanese territory, and detonated its most powerful nuclear weapon to date.


"We are no longer in a severe security situation in which we do not know when missiles will fly toward Japan," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference on June 13, a day after U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader met in Singapore.


The Japanese government has already announced the cancelation of evacuation exercises to prepare local residents for North Korean missile launches, which had been scheduled nationwide in the current fiscal year ending March.


Japan eases alert level for North Korean ballistic missiles photo

(A PAC-3 missile interceptor)

[File photo]



@Kyodo

KyodoNewsPlus

KyodoNewsPlus

Kyodo News Plus is an online publication delivering the latest news from Japan. Kyodo News Plus collaborates with City-Cost to bring those stories related to lifestyle and culture to foreigners resident in Japan. For the latest news updates visit the official site at https://english.kyodonews.net


0 Comments

POP SURVEY

Best place in Japan for a cheap meal (Japanese-style fast food)?

Make your selection to see the results so far